Promotion of Biomedical Engineering and Technology and development of post-graduate training programmes of the highest quality in this area.
The present vision of the wing is to:
Develop technologies which are competitive in the international market
Carry out research in frontier areas of health care technology
Provide testing support conforming to national/international standards
A team of scientists, engineers and technical staff work here in multidisciplinary areas, ranging from biomaterials development and characterization to medical devices development, evaluation and technology transfer. Over the last three decades, a number of products have been successfully developed and commercialized, catalyzing the growth of medical device industry in India.
In the current context of globalization, a quality management system for its testing services conforming to ISO/IEC 17025 has been implemented, enabling international acceptance of test results. This system is now accredited by Le Comite Francais d'Accreditation (COFRAC) of France.
High quality research and publications have led to peer recognition as a valued scientific research institution nationally and internationally. This has resulted in many international collaborative research programmes.
Biomedical Technology Wing aims to bring advances in research outcomes of the laboratory into the clinical setting to benefit patients at the earliest opportunity. The exceptional infrastructure facilitated in the campus underpins biomedical research and enables advances to improve the patient care. Institute has focused on creating resources to develop technologies that are cost-effective, accessible and responsive to the clinical needs of our population.
The material research group has proven record of research towards synthesis and characterization of biomedical polymers, their characterization and testing for biocompatibility to qualify the material for medical applications. The engineering & device development group has successfully developed and commercialized critical products which include blood bag, artificial heart valve, and oxygenator.
Major programmes include development of materials for orthopedic and dental applications, cardiovascular device fabrication, drug delivery systems, nanomedicine, sensors and tissue engineering scaffolds. Biological research focuses on culture and differentiation of adult stem cells for regenerative medicine, in vitro tissue engineering, development of bio therapeutics and diagnostic reagents.
Sophisticated analytical equipments are available in the campus for characterization of materials which include scanning and transmission electron microscopes, Raman & FT-Raman spectroscope, atomic force microscope, ICP, X-ray diffraction, micro computerized tomography, chromatography systems such as HPLC, gas chromatography and LCMS. Other routinely used and well-maintained equipments and facilities are available in all labs.
Important biological research equipments available are confocal microscope, environmental SEM, fluorescent activated cell sorter (FACS), Real Time PCR, ultra centrifuge and continuous flow centrifuge, Imaging systems for fluorescence/ luminescence/ radioisotope detection, live cell imaging, and facilities for proteomic and genomic analysis etc. apart from routinely used equipments that are available in almost all labs. Excellent cell culture and analysis facilities are present in almost all cell biology research labs. The well maintained small and large animal experimental facility with excellent animal operating rooms provides the in vivo evaluation support. Toxicological evaluation of materials is done under GLP compliance. Tissue analysis is done to evaluate the results of experimental research using state-of-art histological/immunochemical/imaging techniques facilitated with sophisticated sample processing and analysis tools.
Above all, BMT Wing harness the academic and technological expertise of its multidisciplinary research faculty to conduct high-quality, patient-focused translational research. This involves taking research from the laboratory to the patient's bedside.
1. Provide an excellent background in biomedical research with integration of chemical, biological and physiological aspects in a unified approach.
2. Emphasize an investigative as well as an empirical approach to the practical problems encountered in experimental and human biomedical science.
3. Training on research methodology which includes development of research hypothesis, work plan, experimental methods, data analysis and reproducibility and finally report preparation.
4. Impart theoretical and practical knowledge and competence that will prepare the student for employment in a variety of biomedical environments.
5. Improve communication skill through oral and poster presentations.
1. The set of lecture and laboratory training courses are designed to strengthen their basic science background at the graduate level.
2. The experience gained will help in developing and focusing research skills in modern biomedical research laboratories.
3. Students will be encouraged to write competitive examinations conducted by various government agencies to obtain fellowships for pursuing a Ph.D. programme within the Institute or outside.
4. Students will gain awareness to determine if he or she really wants to make the commitment and pursue a lifelong research career.
MSc First Class in Biological/Chemical/Physical Sciences (including Polymer Sciences/Chemistry but excluding Plant Sciences and Bioinformatics)
28 years as on 1st August every year.
1. The course is notified and the applications are called for in the prescribed format.
2. Applications received with all required enclosures are screened by an authorized committee of the Institute.
3. Based on the merits of the application, candidates will be selected for written test.
4. Those who qualify the written test will only be called for interview on the following day.
5. Based on the performance in the interview, a panel will be prepared for admission and the provisional list of candidates eligible for admission will be published in the Institute website.
6. Verification of the original certificates against the submitted copies will be done at the time of admission.
Rs. 5000/- per month.M
To find accommodation outside the campus 15% of the stipend will be provided.
A collection of various books in different disciplines are available. Facility for use of internet is also available at the library.
THE DEPUTY REGISTRAR, SREE CHITRA TIRUNAL INSTITUTE FOR MEDICAL SCIENCES AND TECHNOLOGY, TRIVANDRUM-695011, KERALA, INDIA.