Originally established by the Government of Kerala as an advanced centre for medical specialties, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST) metamorphosed into an Institute of National Importance with the status of a University in 1980 under the Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India by an Act of Parliament (Act 52 of 1980). The joint culture of medicine and technology that the Institute pioneered more than three decades ago has come of age and gained unprecedented acceptance in India. Imbued with an inclination to venture into less-trodden domains, the Institute focuses on patient care of high quality, technology development of industrial significance and health research studies of social relevance. The emphasis is on development of facilities less readily available elsewhere in the country such as interventional radiology, cardiac electrophysiology, presurgical evaluation and surgery for epilepsy, microsurgery and deep brain stimulation for movement disorders, new biomedical devices and products, evaluation of medical devices to global specifications, new academic programmes and global public health networks.
The Institute has three wings - the Hospital, Biomedical Technology Wing and the Achutha Menon Centre for Health Science Studies. Excellent research and teaching facilities are available at these centres. This uniquely poised Institute has a dedicated team of clinicians, scientists and engineers devoted to high quality biomedical research and developing technologies in health care with emphasis on cardiovascular and neurological diseases.
The Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology Act, 1980, empowers the Institute to sponsor post-graduate programmes in medical sciences and biomedical engineering and stipulates that the medical degrees, diplomas and other academic distinctions granted by the Institute shall be recognized qualifications for the purpose of the Indian Medical Council Act and that they shall be included in the First Schedule to the Act.
1. Post-Doctoral Courses
- DM - Cardiology, Neurology, Neuroimaging and Interventional Neuroradiology, Cardiothoracic & Vascular Anaesthesia, Neuroanaesthesia.
- MCh - Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Neurosurgery
- Post-doctoral Certificate Course - Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anaesthesia, Neuroanaesthesia, Cardiovascular Imaging and Vascular Interventional Radiology, Diagnostic Neuroradiology, Vascular Surgery.
- Post-doctoral (Post DM/MCh./DNB) Fellowship
2. Specialty Nursing Programme
3. Diploma Programme
- Diploma in Cardiac Laboratory Technology, Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology, Diploma in Neuro Technology, Diploma in Advanced Medical Imaging Technology, Diploma in Medical Records Science, Diploma in Clinical Perfusion, Diploma in Blood Banking Technology
4. Ph.D. Programme
5. Public Health Programmes
6. M.Phil. Degree Course
7. Joint Programmes of SCTIMST, IIT Madras and CMC, Vellore
8. Affiliated Programmes of SCTIMST Offered at National Institute of Epidemiology, Chennai
- 1. MASTER OF PUBLIC HEALTH (MPH in Epidemiology and Health Systems), 2. PG DIPLOMA in HIV AND EPIDEMIOLOGY (PGDHE)